Saturday, April 7, 2012

How can I tell if this is the right house for us?

Here are 4 things to help you decide if the home is right for you.


It is easier to make the decision if you can leave your emotions out of the buying decision, which can be hard to do since we get attached to the 'idea' of home and life we would lead there. 


When purchasing a home, I would agree in having a realtor provide a lengthy list of comparable homes that have sold recently in the area. Use a seasoned realtor, and get referrals or recommendations on any realtor that you are considering using. It is even more ideal to have a realtor who is really well connected who might know of houses going on the market before they even do. (This is especially helpful in a hot buying market).

As an architect, and a fellow home buyer (currently) I will share with you the criteria I use for buying my home. This is my second purchase but my first together with my husband. It was difficult at first trying to figure out how to judge the homes for us. But here is the list we used.








1. Does the house have a good arrangement of rooms that match my lifestyle? To me- the home's connection with the outdoors is really important.

2. If the home's room arrangement doesn't meet my immediate needs how much needs to change? (If I am rearranging several rooms this isn't the house for me- it isn't worth the money.)

3. Rate the home on the following on their importance (1-5) And Check out what the each home offers you terms of these.
daylight-
versatility-
entertaining-
walkability-
storage-

4. As a last item-we added personality. Does the home have personality? If so does it fit us? If it doesn't, is the home conducive to allow us to add some character and personality? 



No comments:

Post a Comment